We ask the parents set aside time on Sundays and Wednesdays to teach their children truths from the Bible. Below we have outlined a few different ways of being intentional in the home.
At 9:00 a.m. each Sunday, gather children K-5th for a Bible lesson in your home. Most of the lesson will be completed on a mobile device that will provide interactive activities and videos to reinforce the lesson. We hope parents will do one lesson per week.
To Get Started
- Download the LifeWay Kids app from the App store.
- Choose The Gospel Project for Kids Volume 7 Spring 2020 for iPhone (or corresponding device). This volume does cost $0.99, but it will help you give multiple options for teaching your children for over 2 months.
- Choose also The Gospel Project for Kids Volume 8 Summer 2020 which will begin in June and run through August. (see schedule below)
Prior to the Lesson
- Watch the video in the app. This will show you what specific biblical passage you need to study prior to the lesson.
- Download and print the activity sheet that corresponds to this lesson. There is one for older children and one for younger children.
How to Teach a Lesson
- Read the passage with your children or portions of the passage depending on their ages.
- Click the "Bible Story Video" (Kids) at the bottom of the screen for an animated story that summarizes the lesson.
- Click "Family Starter" and review the questions from the story.
- Click "Coloring" and allow children to digitally color a page from the story.
- Click "Key Passage Mix Up" and have your child put the Bible verse in the right order. This passage is different from the passage previously studied, but it helps summarize the point of the unit.
- Pray together.
- Have your child complete the activity sheet that goes with this lesson.
How to Use the App
May 31 - Unit 21, Session 4 Jesus and the Samaritan Women
June 7 - Unit 22, Session 1 Jesus Healed Ten Men
June 14 - Unit 22, Session 2 Jesus Healed a Woman and a Girl
June 21 - Unit 22, Session 3 Jesus Healed a Man Who Was Lame
June 28 - Unit 22, Session 4 Jesus Healed a Man Who Was Blind
July 5 - Unit 23, Session 1 The Sermon on the Mount
July 12 - Unit 23, Session 2 The Cost of Following Jesus
July 19 - Unit 23, Session 3 Jesus Taught About Prayer
July 26 - Unit 23, Session 4 Jesus Taught About Possessions
August 2 - Unit 23, Session 5 The Good Shepherd
For preschool children, we encourage you to read them a corresponding story from the Jesus Storybook Bible by Sally-Lloyd Jones.
On Wednesday evenings, we encourage parents to go over a catechism with their children.
Christians have used catechisms for centuries, but they are often less familiar in Baptist circles. A catechism is simply a set of questions and answers about God that children try to memorize.
The catechism we use in our children's ministry is the New City Catechism.
Here's how to disciple your children by using a catechism:
- Download the New City Catechism App
- In the app, click the gear (upper right), then click Children's Mode.
- Go to the appropriate question and teach 2 questions and answers to your child each Wednesday night. Try several strategies and use what works: use a lot of repetition, make flashcards, dances, memory tricks or hand motions. There is a short song in the app associated with each question (bottom right).
- Read the scripture that goes with each question (bottom left).
- Watch the video that corresponds to each question. See the video playlist below.
Below are the questions we have already covered on Wednesday night. Begin by reviewing these questions on these dates. If your child is ready to move on, let him or her pick 2 new questions that stands out to them.
- May 27 - Review Questions 2, 4, 6, 7, 13, 16, 22, 23
- June 3 - Question 24
- June 10 - Question 25
- June 17 - Question 29
- June 24 - Question 30
- July 1 - Question 37
- July 8 - Question 38
- July 15 - Question 40
- July 22 - Question 41
- July 29 - Question 44
- August 5 - Question 45
Lessons on each question